I didn’t attend Whitney’s London 02 date – simply because I knew it was going to be a shambles. Well, turns out – I was right. A good few homies (who are incredibly reliable sources) went in hopes that Houston would be singing like she did back in the day (despite reading a number of horrendous reviews) but sadly they too were disappointed.
From the calls, texts and tweets I’ve been getting from them, things sounded pretty bleek. And before any stans out there begin crying that ‘they don’t know what they’re talking about’ – the majority of them work in music – be it at a label, management company, PR company or radio. Just some of the things they’ve said or I’ve read (via twitter)…
- “She’s not that bad, but saying that about Whitney isn’t that good is it?” – Music Journalist
- “so far Whitney gig is akin to being at an extravagant karoake gig with her Houstonship – bum notes, gasps, skipped verses and all.” – Works for prominent radio station
- “I’m definitely at a Whitney Houston gig but beyond that I haven’t the faintest idea what’s happening” – Pop Justice
- “Whitney’s doing I Will Always Love you so badly that she’s missing notes on purpose to make a joke of it. AMAZING” – Pop Justice
- “People are starting to walk out…” – Works for prominent radio station
- “People really aren’t impressed, even the big Whitney fans” – Twitter
Sad, sad, sad times. I just don’t know what to say – this isn’t a good thing and I get absolutely no satisfaction from posting any of this but I just feel it needs to be said – I truly believe fans (yes, you and me alike) are being fooled into buying into nostalgia at this point. Whitney Houston must know that her voice isn’t up to standard and her people (management, PR etc) must know. Moreover, the man who discovered her, Clive Davis (one of my idols FYI) must know that Houston’s vocals sound strained. I just do not understand why she’s on tour – it can’t be about money, she has plenty.
Would love to hear from those of you who attended last night. Be honest and feel free to correct me if I am genuinely misinformed.
Update: Judging by the comments from fans who attended last night – we weren’t wrong.
Peace, Love & Whitney Houston
Sidenote: I must add that I also saw a lot of comments saying she was doing brilliant – as much as I find it hard to believe – I can’t deny that I saw people tweeting that. However, I know that my peoples, who were there, aren’t bullshitting – so I’m sticking with them on this one.
17 Comments so far
Leave a comment